Friday, October 29, 2010
In other news, I just watched the Halloween episode of "Community," and this may be wishful thinking, but I think there were some "Arrested Development" references! Jeff actually said, "I'm wearing a $6000 suit," and Rich was wearing a BANANA SUIT. I think it was intentional.
Thursday, October 28, 2010
- You learn how to express yourself effectively in writing and in speech. Well, other English majors learn how to express themselves well in speech. Written Jordyn > speaking Jordyn. But still.
- You learn that your reactions and opinions matter and have real value, and then you learn how to persuade other people to respect and even agree with that opinion.
- GRAMMAR AND SPELLING. People say that these things don't really matter, but they do and always will. Poor grammar and spelling skills are the equivalent of missing one of your front teeth.
- I am taking this AWESOME senior capstone class right now focusing on the teachings of Carl Jung, who taught that in order to achieve balance within yourself, you need to acknowledge not only your best traits but also your worst. Only when you accept your complete self can you really be at peace with yourself, your life, and the world. IT IS THE BEST CLASS EVER, and I wouldn't ever have even heard of Jung if I weren't an English major!
I might not make bank in any future career I may have, but I consider skills and ideas like these pretty important outside the classroom and/or workplace.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
I am enjoying the cold weather, but it all kind of sucks because I haven't even watched Beetlejuice yet.
In other news, my girl Carly is truly one of my best friends...and she came through for me yet again tonight by giving me a phone call letting me know that RDJ was on "Jay Leno." What would I do without you?
Another one of my best friends, Lizzie, is leaving on her mission really really soon...I'm going to miss the poo out of her, but she's going to do a grrrreat job! Also she will dress extremely fashionably and prove that it is totally possible to do so.
...and now "Lights" by Journey is on Pandora! I'm SO glad I stayed up!!
Sunday, October 24, 2010
I've heard people* say that they initially thought that this picture was just a cutie friendy picture from London--we're all dressed up, we're sitting all close and cozy, I made it all black and white and blurred the edges like a tool...it looks like, perhaps, just a cutie friendy picture. Look closer.
Here's a zoomed-in shot of what's happening behind Rebbie and me:
*I think once one person said this. Or I may have made it up
Friday, October 22, 2010
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
And this was in my inbox today:
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Anyway, I made a new playlist like 2 weeks ago, and I haven't stopped listening to it yet. It's a pretty big deal. A few of the highlights are:
- "Hold My Heart" by Sara Bareilles...a close married friend of mine said that this song "almost makes her wish she weren't in love." Just so she could listen and relate. But bummer for her, she IS in love, boo freakin hoo.
- "Don't Be Shy" by Cat Stevens...well this song motivates me while simultaneously making me pleasantly sleepy. I imagine that gives me a hilarious facial expression.
- "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World...what's that you say? This song stopped being cool in 2004? Um, have you LISTENED to the words? It speaks SO TRUE. You all LOVE IT probably.
- "Sweet Disposition" by Temper Trap...I know this song is freaking all over the place these days because of that awesome Diet Coke commercial and 500 Days of Summer, but it's probably something to do with the fact that this song is perfect for any season, any human, any emotion.
- "Quelqu'un m'a dit" by Carla Bruni...yes, another 500 Days of Summer song, but whatever it's beautiful. Even if I have no idea what the words are if Alex isn't there to translate for me...but I know that they're probably along the lines of, "Don't worry Jordyn, you are not the only idiot who gets C minuses and is addicted to Tostitos queso dip and is probably going to end up alone and has dreams about reuniting with her dog instead of sexy times with boys."
- "Shape of my Heart" by the Backstreet Boys...duh
- "Your Love" by the Outfield...there is no music today like those lucky B's had in the '70s and '80s and whatever.
So yeah, that's what my walks to class/drives to work/showers sound like right now. There are also other songs. These are just the milestones...or something. Now leave me alone; I have a paper to write.
*Actually it probably wouldn't be THAT horrible.
Monday, October 18, 2010
Sunday, October 17, 2010
- Cutting the neck off of my BYU retro sweatshirt as a freshman. I should've sacrificed a different article of clothing to the '80s party gods instead because now I always have this awkward ratio of under-layer of t-shirt showing.
- Buying so much stupid crap within the first few weeks of my London trip and not just waiting until I knew exactly what I wanted.
- Watching American History X on TV...I watched the WHOLE thing. No other movie has ever scarred me as badly as that one did.
- Taking Bio 100 as a college freshman
- Taking Geology 101 as a college freshman
- Eating two funnel cakes as a family back in 2003 at a dog show...ugh. That is a regret we all felt/still feel collectively
- Taking an approximately five hour nap today instead of finish a ton of homework
- Not entirely appreciating A Bug's Life until this afternoon. That crap is hilarious. One line I never noticed before: "The streets will be paved with golden retrievers..."
Anyways, I learned this past Thursday that for my Comms 101 class which I hate, I have to go three consecutive days without using any media. Yes, that includes cell phone, computer (Internet, word processing, iTunes, etc.), radio, newspaper, books (I assume), TV...I literally don't know how I'll be able to do this. Three days?! And I'm not just concerned about you know, facebook, but what about if I have a paper or online homework due? What am I going to do at work? I hate this class.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
- Good adjectives for describing the weather: chilly, brisk, crisp, cool, nippy...they saved all the best words for the most fleeting time of year.
- My fall clothes > my summer clothes. By mid-June, I am so sick of all of my warm weather outfits except for maybe two shirts. It looks like all the pictures taken of me were taken over the course of two days when actually I just alternated two different outfits all summer long. Fall means I can bust out my tights and hide my pasty legs, wear boots and not worry about sweaty calves, wear cardigans and not worry about sweaty pits, straighten my bangs and maybe they will stay straight all day...fall takes a lot of the edge off.
- Halloween! No other months give people the opportunity to spend 30 whole days thinking of a costume that will be hilarious and creative and yet immediately identifiable. Plus, as I've said before, Halloween movies are THE BOMB. I love Christmas more than I love Halloween (hence why I feel October is the SECOND best month), but a crappy Halloween movie > a crappy Christmas movie, any day, any time, any movie. Not that I don't go apeshiz for GOOD Christmas movies, but that's drifting away from the month at hand.
- School is more about social activities than about assignments right now. Yeah, a midterm or two is out of the way, but I swear it's November when things start getting really sucky. Or maybe I'm finally experiencing a semester with conscientious teachers who don't want to make their students suicidal.
- Ward pumpkin stealing activity. Last year there were casualties; I'm not not hoping there are some again this year.
- Have you ever tasted cider?
- Frightmares at Lagoon
Monday, October 11, 2010
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Mostly full of whiny crap
Nelly's in there too.
How to tactfully
Tell roommate that the kitchen
Is full of her crap...
I've ranked October
Second only to Decem-
-ber as favorite month.
Soon Hocus Pocus,
Beetlejuice and Batman, too,
Will be on TV!
My costume idea
Which technically I did steal
With permission though.
Looking cute is nice
But for Halloween I've learned
Ugly is more fun.
Friday, October 8, 2010
- "Daria" season: 3
- page in HP and the O of the P chapter 9, paperback: 163
- character on "Grey's": little Grey
- new cd: Sara Bareilles
- new Taco Bell sauce: verde
- cardigan: the teal one? or the new gray one
- day this week: Tuesday
- dessert at the Cannon Center tonight: some chocolate mousse stuff
- font this semester: Georgia
- song on the walk home from school today: "Fix You"...it had been a while since my ears heard the whole thing and it was epic, just like it was in high school
- Backstreet Boy song (in no particular order, really): "I Want it That Way," "The One," "Shape of my Heart"
- Microsoft Office component: OneNote
- Robert Downey Jr. daydream today: the one where he dons a suit and little glasses and we sit on the couch and read Harry Potter and then discuss it (If that doesn't scream "I'm a virgin," I don't know what does)
- thing about my face: my skin's finally starting to clear up
- thing about this week: it's finally over
- thing about my stupid idiot Comms 101 class: I got through like 3 chapters of HP and the O of the P today
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Every time I look I'm like, "Oh her face is funnier. No wait HER face is funnier." They're both hilarious faces.
This blog is so not cool anymore. This movie came out two years ago. Cool reference, Jordyn! I'm the one writing this blog, and I'M even bored.