Sunday, December 12, 2010
Thursday, December 9, 2010
[The Sims 1 soundtrack is playing on Grooveshark: http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Building_Mode_3/6UnVt
Click this and you will feel like such an idiot for thinking I'm crazy for listening to video game music for fun. It's beautiful stuff]
"This music is as awesome now as it was the summer before 8th grade. Hey wait a second...this is being played on a piano! I NEED THIS SHEET MUSIC!!!"
[background information: I took piano lessons for nine years, and while I have never mastered the art of sight-reading, I can play pretty well if a.) it's a song I really like, and b.) I practice my A off. I find myself drawn to Andrew Lloyd Webber showtunes and the piano stylings of Vince Guaraldi--who isn't though, right?!]
And guess what? I FOUND THE SHEET MUSIC. I am SO all over this when I go home to Colorado in 9 days.
But I need to finish this research paper first.
Monday, December 6, 2010
"I am a distinguished, good-looking older man, and if that aforementioned 22-year-old girl walked past me in the supermarket, she might do a double-take because I'm surprisingly handsome and less-surprisingly distinguished."
As you can see, my schoolwork is not going well.
Saturday, December 4, 2010
I saw this on the good old facebook and decided that it was applicable, considering I just turned 22 yesterday.
 You know how to make a pot of coffee
[x] You keep track of dates using a calendar When they say "dates," do they mean like times when a guy picks you up and pays for your food? Or like days of the week? I'm going to assume it's the latter since I don't need a calendar to keep track of zero.
 You own a credit card
 You know how to change the oil in a car I can check the oil...and was taught how to do so this year.
[X] You've done your own laundry
[X] You can vote in an election
[x] You can cook for yourself Technically. "Is butter a carb?"
 You think politics are interesting
TOTAL SO FAR: 4
[x] You show up for school late a lot
[x] You always carry a pen/pencil in your bag/purse/pocket
[x] You've never gotten a detention I've always had this paralyzing fear of getting in trouble. Seriously. I had to write my name on the board less than three times in my entire elementary school career, and each time I felt like I was living my worst nightmare.
 You have forgotten your own birthday
 You like to take walks by yourself Only if I'm somewhere awesome like London. [wistful sigh] Ah, those days...those days that were two whole years ago...crazy.
[x] You know what credibility means, without looking it up Is this a trick question or something? Why on earth would they choose "credibility"? Do a lot of people not know what this means? Random
[x] You drink caffeine at least once a week
TOTAL SO FAR: 9
[x] You know how to do the dishes A skill which is not as common as I had once thought.
[x] You can count to 10 in another language And not just because of "Pretty Fly for a White Guy"! I guess technically The Offspring only go up to 6. And to 5 twice, which is just incorrect.
[x] When you say you're going to do something you do it Generally. Wait, why did I mark this one? I'm somewhat flakey. Oh well I promise I'll get better.
[x] You can mow the lawn
 You study even when you don't have to I don't study when I do have to.
[x] You have hand washed a car before I think so...? I have some memory that's exactly like the car wash scene from Little Giants. Maybe I'm just revisiting my dreams to live inside that movie.
[x] You can spell experience, without looking it up Again, what? Is "experience" the most commonly misspelled word or something? You know what's harder to spell? "Misspelled."
 The people at Starbucks know you by name
[x] Your favorite kind of food is take out
 You can go to the store without getting something you don't need Literally cannot do this. I always leave Wal-Mart with a new $5 movie, and I always leave Smith's with a jar of queso.
 You understand political jokes the first time they are said.
[x] You can type pretty quickly
TOTAL SO FAR: 16
 Your only friends are from your place of employment
 You have been to a Tupperware party
[x] You have realized that practically no one will take you seriously unless you are over the age of 25 and have a job.
 You have more bills than you can pay
[x] You have been to the beach
[x] You use the internet every day
[x] You have traveled overseas more than 5 times Well, I have traveled over oceans more than 5 times...counting it
 You make your bed in the morning They mean every morning, right? Then yeah no.
[x] You realized people of the opposite sex might just make better friends. What does this mean? Better friends than girls? That's just not true. But boys are occasionally pretty awesome...whatever I'm counting this one too.
Alright! I'm only one year behind. That's a relief. I feel like I'm seven years behind.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Okay not literally because I also just made this list:
- "Country Grammar"--Nelly. I heard this song for the first time on American Top 40 with Casey Kasem in 6th grade and just lay there in my bed on that Sunday night with my eyes and mouth open wide and my heart palpitating in time with the sick beats and rhymes. Like I said, it changed EVERYTHING
- "Bruised"--The Bens. I listened to this song CONSTANTLY during my junior year of high school. "Constantly" as in I would put it twice on mix CDs for my car.
- "I Can't Hold Back"--Survivor. This is what truly started my whole '70s/'80s Arena Rock phase (a phase which is not yet over, by the way).
- "Sincerely Me"--New Found Glory. Another song from 6th grade which was very, very important to me.
- "Catch My Disease"--Ben Lee. I could hardly believe that such a cheerful, cutesy, seriously good song existed. And then I heard it everywhere the year after I heard it. In other news, the intro makes an excellent ringtone.
- "Annie Waits"--Ben Folds. This song is what began my obsession with Ben Folds. OBSESSED WITH HIM he is definitely my most favorite musical artist of all time.
- "Hurricane"--Something Corporate. Junior year was an epic year for me, music-wise
- "Encore/Numb" mashup--Jay-Z and Linkin Park. I think this was the first mash-up I ever heard. Needless to say I almost fell over when the epic sweetness flew into my eardrums.
- "Are You Gonna be my Girl"--Jet. I heard this on the radio when my mom dropped me off at school in the middle of the day after a dentist appointment when I was a freshman, and I researched online to find out when the CD was coming out, and I bought it the first day it was on sale...and now this song is literally everywhere. [Secret: I'm not sick of it at all]
And here's something that is even cuter than I remember it being...Patrick Wilson is such a hottie
*and by "everything" obviously I mean "me."