[the original shot of Taylor found here]
On the drive home, we came up with the Most Brilliant Idea of All Time: did you know that you can create the most perfect jukebox musical (a la Abba and Mamma Mia) using Taylor Swift songs to tell the Hunger Games story?
Prepare for us to blow your mind.
Oh yeah and possible spoilers for those of you who haven't read the books. I bet you'll be able to see and enjoy the musical without reading the books, though.
TAYLOR SWIFT/HUNGER GAMES JUKEBOX MUSICAL
- "Mine": a leitmotif* for Peeta and Katniss. It will first play in the cave, then during hot 'n heavy times on the beach in Catching Fire, and then at the finale
- Evidence: "Do you remember we were sitting there, by the water / You put your arm around me for the first time"
- "Mean": Katniss to President Snow when he comes to her house in CF
- Evidence: "You with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me"
- More: "Why you gotta be so mean?!" okay this entire one works, obviously. Although this is the one that made us laugh the hardest during the brainstorming session. Just picturing Katniss with her hand on her hip, shaking her finger at Snow...bahaha.
- "Sparks Fly": Katniss and Gale's song
- Evidence: "My mind forgets to remind me / You're a bad idea" (because let's face it, they have chemistry, but they are the worst couple ever. A "bad idea," if you will.)
- More evidence: "I'm on my guard for the rest of the world / But with you, I know it's no good" TOTALLY KATNISS.
- "Haunted": Katniss when she realizes Peeta's been hijacked in Mockingjay
- Evidence: "Whoa, holding my breath / Won't lose you again / Something's made your eyes go cold" (seriously. This just screams of the Capitol.)
- More evidence: "Come on, come on don't leave me like this / I thought I had you figured out / Something's gone terribly wrong / You're all I wanted"
- "Ours": Katniss to Prim (or vice versa). Except there will definitely have to be a re-write when she talks about the tattoos.
- Evidence: "Don't you worry your pretty little mind / People throw rocks at things that shine" (ok this was one of the few reaching ones)
- "Never Grow Up": Katniss to Prim when they're saying goodbye before the first Games
- Evidence: "I won't let nobody hurt you / Won't let no one break your heart / No no one will desert you"
- "Tell Me Why": Katniss and Peeta to Haymitch
- Evidence: "You know you got a mean streak / Makes me run for cover when you're around"
- More evidence: "I get so confused and frustrated / Forget what I'm tryin' to say"
- "Eyes Open": Haymitch coaching Peeta and Katniss
- Evidence: "Everybody's waiting for you to break down / Everybody's watching to see the fallout / Even when you're sleeping, sleeping / Keep your eyes open" DUH
- "Last Kiss": Katniss when she realizes Peeta's been kidnapped...either at the end of CF or beginning of Mockingjay
- Evidence: "All that I know is I don't know how to something you miss / Never thought we'd have a last kiss / Never imagined we'd end like this / Your name, forever the name on my lips"
- "I'm Only Me When I'm With You": Finnick and Annie
- we kind of just put this one in so Katniss wouldn't be the only character with songs.
- "Fifteen": When Katniss and Peeta are training with the other tributes in the first book
- Evidence: "You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors / It's the morning of your very first day"
- And then we'll have to change the parts about Abigail to Rue, and the senior boys can be the Careers or something.
- "The Story of Us": When Peeta's all mad that Katniss has been pretending the whole time when they were getting down in the arena
- Evidence: "Lately I don't even know what page you're on / Oh, a simple complication, miscommunications lead to fallout / So many things that I wish you knew / So many walls up I can't break through"
- More: "The battle's in your hands now / But I would lay my armor down / If you'd say you'd rather love than fight"
- "Safe and Sound": Katniss back in the cave, once she's gotten the medicine for Peeta at the Cornucopia
If you know any rich people who would like to help produce this amazing musical, let us know.
Oh and our dream cast is pretty much the same as the movie, but with Taylor herself starring as Katniss. Which means Josh Hutcherson will need some stilts, because Tay is 5'11"...oh and we're in talks with Zac Efron for Finnick.
*yeah, I took all the required Humanities classes and also Music 101. BECAUSE I AM A COLLEGE GRADUATE.
Also, I am really proud of my handiwork on Taylor's bow. Just so you know.